RealPlayer is the kind of software application that everybody praises but nobody uses it. Wonder why? Probably because the developers behind this software solution tried to make RealPlayer more than a media player and, in the end, they got a more complex program that people find difficult to use.
Anyway, we decided to give it a shot so we downloaded the installer to see what RealPlayer is really up to. The installer is full of options, allowing to choose right from the beginning whether to place shortcuts on desktop, to use RealPlayer for opening multimedia files that are not yet associated with another application or to... install some other applications that have nothing in common with RealPlayer. This is the reason why RealPlayer is marked as ad-supported here on Softpedia, as it attempts to install both Norton Security Scan, but also Google Chrome, both of which are not required to work properly.
Installation is not at all difficult though, and it takes less than a minute until you finally get to meet RealPlayer. There's no love at first sight, that's for sure, as RealPlayer greets the user with its now well-known browsing window which, in some people's opinion, should not exist in a media player. And truth is, those looking just to play their multimedia content won't like such a feature.
Other than that, RealPlayer is a great app. It has support for most audio and video formats out there, boasting the same features as many other digital media players out there, including playlists, libraries, equalizers and even burning capabilities.
We've tested the basic version of the application, which is free but doesn't include DVD burning, a 10-band graphic equalizer, video controls, crossfade, manual media conversion, toolbar display mode and many others.
· Features not included in standard/free version :
· DVD/VCD Burning
· Toolbar Display Mode
· 10-Band Graphic Equalizer
· Extra CD Burning options such as Audio Filters and Multi-Session Burning
· Manual Media Conversion
· Print CD and DVD Jewel Case Inserts
· Print My Library
· Video Controls
· Record Mic/Line In (Analog source recording)
What's New in This Release:
· View, download, burn and organize internet videos with a one-click download button from thousands of sites like YouTube, MySpace, and more. Keep the videos you want and build your own video library. Watch them when you want, online or offline, anywhere, anytime.
· Burn, transfer, and share your videos. Easily burn videos to CDs, which can be played on most DVD players. RealPlayer Plus also burns DVDs and SVCDs. Take your downloaded videos and watch them on your TV or a portable player. Share video links with friends and family by email.
· RealPlayer plays all major video formats, including Windows Media, Flash, QuickTime, RealMedia, AVI, and DivX.
· RealVideo streaming content starts up faster less buffering.
· Improved playback quality and performance. Enhanced playback features such as full-screen with controls and resizing.
· The larger playback window provides a better viewing experience.
· The new look and feel reduces clutter and increases ease of use. The tabbed interface...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-suported application:
· Offers to download or install software or components that the program does not require to fully function: Norton Security Scan
· Offers to create desktop or start menu shortcuts for items unrelated to the program's functionality
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime