The Kodu application was developed to provide a visual programming language made specifically for creating games. It is designed to be accessible for children and enjoyable for anyone.
The core of the Kodu project is the programming user interface. The language is simple and entirely icon-based. Programs are composed of pages, which are broken down into rules, which are further divided into conditions and actions. Conditions are evaluated simultaneously.
The Kodu language is designed specifically for game development and provides specialized primitives derived from gaming scenarios. Programs are expressed in physical terms, using concepts like vision, hearing, and time to control character behavior. While not as general-purpose as classical programming languages, Kodu can express advanced game design concepts in a simple, direct, and intuitive manner.
· High-level language incorporates real-world primitives: collision, color, vision
· Runs on Xbox 360 and PC
· Interactive terrain editor
· Bridge and path builder
· Terrain editor - create worlds of arbitrary shape and size
· 20 different characters with different abilities
· NET Framework 3.5
· XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1